Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Writing Contest/Poetry: Another Beautiful Morning

This is a VERY LONG poem I wrote for the Chapman university Holocaust survivor contest. The persons experience I wrote about is Roman Kent. He is a Holocaust survivor. I did not place and I think it's because my poem was to long.
However it was only 30 lines(max) and 1 page with 10point font. maybe that's why?


Morning came and the sun rose, off to school we did not go. Excited not to have to attend, but my world would come to an end.
With the beauty of the sunrise followed the abominable waves of the German war machine. Burping of bullets in the distance.
There I stood watching in amazement, An awesome spectacle I witnessed.
The planes of the swastika regime lit up the skies with fire in their eyes, Intent to set the world ablaze.
Too young to realize what was happening until we were shoved into the filthy ghetto.
Well off we once were, but here we watched our words. No longer a student, no longer a teenager, just an innocent bystander.
Often sneaking out past the kraut to break down the foundations of our town just so we could stay warm.
The wood that was birthed from this earth was ashed and then spread back over the grass. This secret pass wouldn't last.
Forced into cattle carts like villains without hearts. Days spent in the dark, nights spent close together.
A loud wallop followed by a blinding light. Dogs barking, induced by the German might, these were my childhood frights.
My fellow brother lying on the ground with blood flowing from his crown, my world was slowly turned upside down.
A German boot lay pressed upon his throat, my fellow Jew turned and gulped.
I saw in his eyes, for the very first time, the brutality that awaited me and the sickness of man.
In the German's eyes lay an evil that seemed could never die. No longer could I be a child at ease. Who am I to these Germans?
What am I? This day I realized that some men just want to watch the world burn.
This day they took them from me, mother and sister where are ye?
We stayed in a crowded barracks where mans life extinguished and the bodies began to stack.
We slept on these hard wooden racks after long days of forced labor in these concentration camps.
Our wills broken but our faith left un-shattered. Thrust to our knees we beg for mercy. A call for a profession,
A chance to escape. My brother and I, not being skilled, found our hands raised. We passed from camp to camp.
Changing our names and switching serial numbers, we stayed together. We grew to become survivors through guile and cunning. A call to Auschwitz, 800 to go, 800 to come. Acting like a fool I ran to the man I saw as God, The German Commander.
A plea to stay, a prayer answered. Off to the furnace we did not go. Another day of hard labor.
Soon we would walk and death would stalk from every tree top. Russians! No, Americans!
The instant pitter patter of mounted guns, our line broken we began to run. To the fields we shall go.
The German slaughter would end this night. Free at last, I can never go back to my past. One last look back, I shed no tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment